Our Mission Continues!
As of March 17, 2020:
Our facilities and programs remain open and our services will continue to be available (as much as resources allow) to our homeless, hungry, and hurting neighbors during this difficult time.
We need your support now more than ever. As other places close or limit services, the need for United Caring Services (especially the day shelter) and other homeless shelters and services providers is increasing.
We are diligently and prudently practicing the precautions recommended by the CDC and local health departments are given the scope and need for our services. Our thorough cleaning process, commitment to regularly washed hands as well as safe, social interactions, along with mutual respect and degree of caution, will continue to keep our guests, staff, and volunteers safe.
We have implemented increased COVID-19 intake and screening protocols across UCS programming. These C19 Protocols were updated on April 1, 2020, to provide specific timelines for entry/re-entry of guests who were tested (positive or negative) for COVID-19.
As of April 1, 2020:
- We are no longer accepting some donated items — clothing, sheets, blankets, towels. An urgent needs list is on the front page of the website. Have a question? Call us.
- Under new screening, social distancing, mask requirements and enhanced cleaning protocols, we are taking guests in the night shelters and respite and serving people in the day shelter.
- If someone has been tested, awaiting results, in need of isolation that we cannot provide, or tested positive we WILL NOT be able to serve them.
- If the person been tested and gets a negative result then we will take them back. Current guests awaiting results will not lose their beds assuming the test results will be back within 72 hours (unsure how long it is taking to get results). We will not hold the bed indefinitely. After 5 days, it will be available for use.
- If the person has tested positive, then in 21 days from that positive diagnosis they will be eligible to return AS LONG AS they have been tested again and the result is negative and they are symptom-free.
As of May 20, 2020:
- We are not accepting clothing donations. This policy will be reviewed during the month of June.
- We hope to see our volunteers return to service by/in June and some normalcy return in those areas; however, UCS will maintain its screening, distancing, mask, and cleaning protocols.
- We continue to have some enhanced staff coverage on the weekends for guests’ safety and security.
As of July 27 and August 6, 2020:
- We are not accepting any used clothing, towels, sheets, and/or linens. Our guests do need new adult size Tshirts and underwear, as well as new towels and twin-sized fitted and flat sheets. We will evaluate the state of the pandemic and local restrictions again on August 24. Any questions, please call (812) 422-0297. Thank you for your support and understanding.
- UCS maintains its current April 1-level of cleaning, screening, distancing, mask, and safety protocols.
- We also continue to have enhanced staff coverage on the weekends for guests’ safety and security.
- (August 6) Given recent positives at ERM, we are adding temp screening to the day shelter to cover most open hours (may not be possible during meal time given logistics and lack of staff coverage) and more strongly encouraging mask use by all guests inside the day shelter.
As conversations continue and conditions change, UCS will be able to adapt and overcome better and faster because of your continued support.
Thank you for your financial gifts, in-kind donations, and volunteerism that makes the days and nights more dignified, healthier, and safer for men, women, and children who are homeless, hungry, and hurting.